Chair Grijalva, Chair Castor, Group of Endorsers Will Unveil “Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act” at Oct. 20 Press Conference
Washington, D.C. – Chair Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.) will lead a press conference on Oct. 20 to unveil his Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act, a landmark effort to address the ocean impacts of climate change and reform federal ocean management to better account for climate mitigation. The event will feature Chair Kathy Castor (D-Fla.) of the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis and a range of bill endorsers. Reporters interested in participating should RSVP to email@example.com for a link.
The oceans have absorbed 93 percent of the heat trapped by climate change, making them hotter and more acidic. At the same time, up to 21 percent of the annual greenhouse gas emissions cuts the world needs can come from the oceans. The bill is a first-of-its-kind effort to stop the ongoing damage to our oceans and protect the food, jobs and coastlines on which millions of people depend.
In addition to the co-leads, Tuesday’s speakers include:
- Rep. Deb Haaland (D-N.M.), Natural Resources Committee Vice Chair
- Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.), Chair, Subcommittee on Water, Oceans, and Wildlife
- Rep. Suzanne Bonamici (D-Ore.)
- John Podesta, Counselor to the President, Obama administration
- Jane Lubchenco, former Administrator, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Enric Sala, explorer-in-residence, National Geographic
- Queen Quet, head of the Gullah/Geechee Nation
Other speakers may be announced at a future time. The event will be livestreamed for the public.
When: 1:30 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, Oct. 20
Media Contacts: Adam Sarvana (Grijalva)
(202) 225-6065 or (202) 578-6626 mobile
Melvin Felix (Castor)
(202) 257-2542 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Article Previous Article