Cliff Bentz (R-Ore.)
The Subcommittee on Water, Wildlife and Fisheries is responsible for matters concerning America’s water resources, federal irrigation projects, generation of electric power from federal water projects, interstate water issues and fisheries management.
Republicans on the Subcommittee are devoted to promoting low-cost, clean, renewable and emissions-free hydroelectricity generated by federal dams and reservoirs. We are also working to improve federal government regulations to ensure projects are less expensive, more transparent and not delayed by unnecessary red tape.
Jurisdiction of the Subcommittee
- Generation and marketing of electric power from Federal water projects by Federally chartered or Federal regional power marketing authorities.
- All measures and matters concerning water resources planning conducted pursuant to the Water Resources Planning Act, water resource research and development programs and saline water research and development.
- Compacts relating to the use and apportionment of interstate waters, water rights and major interbasin water or power movement programs.
- All measures and matters pertaining to irrigation and reclamation projects and other water resources development and recycling programs, including policies and procedures.
- Indian water rights and settlements.
- Rights of way over public lands for energy-related transmission.
- Fisheries management and fisheries research generally, including the management of all commercial and recreational fisheries (including the reauthorization of the Magnuson Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act), interjurisdictional fisheries, international fisheries agreements, aquaculture, seafood safety and fisheries promotion.
- All matters pertaining to the protection of coastal and marine environments and estuarine protection and coastal barriers (except coastal zone management).
- Ocean engineering, including materials, technology and systems.
- Marine sanctuaries.
- U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- All matters regarding Antarctica within the Committee's jurisdiction.
- Sea Grant programs and marine extension services.
- Cooperative efforts to encourage, enhance and improve international programs for the protection of the environment and the conservation of natural resources otherwise within the jurisdiction of the Subcommittee.
- General and continuing oversight and investigative authority over activities, policies and programs within the jurisdiction of the Subcommittee.
- Wildlife resources, including research, restoration, refuges and conservation, including National Wildlife Refuges.
Vice Ranking Member Jen Kiggans
Amata Coleman Radewagen
Anna Paulina Luna