Legislative: WOW Legislative Hearing – March 17, 2022
On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 1:00 p.m. ET, in room 1324 Longworth House Office Building and Cisco WebEx, the Subcommittee on Water, Oceans, and Wildlife will hold a legislative hearing on the following bills:
- H.R. 3431 (Rep. Chris Pappas, D-NH) Increasing Community Access to Resiliency Grants Act of 2021. To require the Secretary of Commerce, acting through the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, to establish a website providing information about grants available to assist State, Tribal, and local governments with climate resiliency, adaptation and mitigation, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6491 (Rep. Jared Huffman, D-CA) To require the identification of salmon conservation areas and salmon strongholds, and for other purposes. Salmon Focused Investments in Sustainable Habitats (FISH) Act.
- H.R. 6651 (Rep. Don Young, R-AK) To establish an Alaska Salmon Research Task Force. Alaska Salmon Research Task Force Act.
- H.R. 6785 (Rep. Seth Moulton, D-MA) To assist in the conservation of the North Atlantic right whale by supporting and providing financial resources for North Atlantic right whale conservation programs and projects of persons with expertise required for the conservation of North Atlantic right whales, and for other purposes. Right Whale Coexistence Act of 2022.
- H.R. 6987 (Rep. Rick Larsen, D-WA) [Introduced text attached] To establish programs to reduce the impacts of vessel traffic and underwater noise on marine mammals, and for other purposes.
Panel I: Congressional Witness
Representative Rick Larsen (H.R. 6987)
Washington, 2nd Congressional District
Panel II: Administration Witness
Janet Coit (all bills) (testimony)
Assistant Administrator, National Marine Fisheries Service
Acting Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere
Deputy NOAA Administrator
Panel III: Expert Witnesses
The Honorable Steven Honigman (H.R. 6987) (testimony)
Retired General Counsel of the United States Navy
(New York, NY)
Jill Weitz (H.R. 6491, H.R. 6651) (testimony)
Salmon Beyond Borders
Jessica V. Redfern, Ph.D. (H.R. 6785, H.R. 6987) (testimony)
Chair of the Spatial Ecology, Mapping, and Assessment Program Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life
Rick Marks (all bills) (testimony)
Director of Government Affairs
Robertson, Monagle & Eastaugh