Subcommittee Hearing: SCIP Hybrid Legislative Hearing – April 27, 2022
On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 1:00 p.m. ET, in room 1324 Longworth House Office Building (Hearing Room) and online via Cisco Webex, the Subcommittee for Indigenous Peoples of the United States (SCIP) will host a hybrid legislative hearing on the following tribal-related legislation:
- H.R. 437 (Rep. Don Young, R-AK), To amend the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act to exclude certain payments to Alaska Native elders for determining eligibility for certain programs, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6063 (Rep. Betty McCollum, D-MN), To provide for the equitable settlement of certain Indian land disputes regarding land in Illinois, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6181 (Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-AZ), To reaffirm that certain land has been taken into trust for the benefit of the Samish Indian Nation, and for other purposes. “Samish Indian Nation Land Reaffirmation Act.”
- S. 314 (Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-OR), To repeal the Klamath Tribe Judgment Fund Act. “Klamath Tribe Judgment Fund Repeal Act.”
- S. 559 (Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-OR), To amend the Grand Ronde Reservation Act, and for other purposes.
- S. 789 (Sen. Mike Rounds, R-SD), To repeal certain obsolete laws relating to Indians. “Repealing Existing Substandard Provisions Encouraging Conciliation with Tribes Act.”
The Honorable Douglas G. Lankford (H.R. 6063) (testimony)
The Miami Tribe of Oklahoma
The Honorable Tom Wooten (H.R. 6181) (testimony)
Samish Indian Nation
The Honorable Donald Gentry (S. 314) (testimony)
The Klamath Tribes
The Honorable Cheryle A. Kennedy (S. 559) (testimony)
Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde
Grand Ronde, OR
The Honorable Sheri Buretta (H.R. 437) (testimony)
Chairman of the Board
Chugach Alaska Corporation
The Honorable Misty Napeahi (H.R. 6181) (testimony)
The Honorable Tamara StJohn (S. 789) (testimony)
South Dakota State Representative
For additional hearing materials and schedules, please visit the U.S. House of Representatives' Committee Repository at http://docs.house.gov/.