Subcommittee Hearing: Hybrid WOW Legislative Hearing – May 12, 2022
On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. ET, in room 1324 Longworth House Office Building and via Cisco WebEx, the Subcommittee on Water, Oceans, and Wildlife will hold a hybrid legislative hearing on the following bills:
- H.R. 263 (Rep. Mike Quigley, D-IL) To amend the Lacey Act Amendments of 1981 to clarify provisions enacted by the Captive Wildlife Safety Act, to further the conservation of certain wildlife species, and for other purposes. Big Cat Public Safety Act.
- H.R. 3081 (Rep. Kelly Armstrong, R-ND) To make certain irrigation districts eligible for Pick-Sloan Missouri Basin Program pumping power, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5880 (Rep. Tom O’Halleran, D-AZ) To amend the White Mountain Apache Tribe Water Rights Quantification Act of 2010 to modify the enforceability date for certain provisions, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 6238 (Rep. Melanie Stansbury, D-NM) To amend the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 to increase Tribal access to water conservation and efficiency grants, and for other purposes. WaterSMART Access for Tribes Act
- H.R. 6369 (Rep. Matthew Rosendale, R-MT) To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to construct, operate, and maintain facilities in the Sun River Project, Montana, for the purpose of hydroelectric power generation. Sun River Hydropower Authorization Act.
- H.R. 7612 (Rep. Mike Levin, D-CA) To advance desalination research and technological innovation, and for other purposes. Desalination Research Advancement Act.
- H.R. 7632 (Rep. Joe Neguse, D-CO) To provide access to reliable, clean, and drinkable water on Tribal lands, and for other purposes. Tribal Access to Clean Water Act.
- H.R. 7633 (Rep. Tom O’Halleran, D-AZ) To approve the settlement of water rights claims of the Hualapai Tribe and certain allottees in the State of Arizona, to authorize construction of a water project relating to those water rights claims, and for other purposes. Hualapai Tribe Water Rights Settlement Act of 2022.
Panel I: Congressional Witnesses
Representative Melanie Stansbury (H.R. 6238) New Mexico, 1st Congressional District
Representative Mike Quigley (H.R. 263) Illinois, 5th Congressional District
Representative Tom O’Halleran (H.R. 5880 and H.R. 7633) Arizona, 1st Congressional District
Representative Matthew Rosendale (H.R. 6369) Montana, At-Large Congressional District
Panel II: Government Witnesses
Dr. David Raff (H.R. 3081, H.R. 6238, H.R. 7612, and H.R. 7632) (testimony)
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation Washington, DC
The Honorable Jonathan Nez (H.R. 6238 and H.R. 7632) (testimony)
Navajo Nation Window Rock, AZ
The Honorable Dr. Damon R. Clarke (H.R. 7633) (testimony)
Peach Springs, AZ
The Honorable Kasey Velasquez (H.R. 5880) (testimony)
White Mountain Apache Tribe
Panel III: Expert Witnesses
Sandy L. Kerl (H.R. 7612) (testimony)
San Diego County Water Authority San Diego, CA
Carter Vander Wal (H.R. 3081) (testimony)
Irrigator, Board of Directors, North Dakota Irrigation Association
District 2 Representative, Board of Directors, KEM Electric Cooperative
Matt Lutz (H.R. 263) (testimony)
Muskingum County Zanesville, OH
Erling A. Juel, P.E. (H.R. 6369) (testimony)
Greenfields Irrigation District Fairfield, MT