Legislative: EMR Legislative Hearing – June 9, 2022
On Thursday, June 9, 2022, at 9:30 A.M. ET, in 1324 Longworth HOB and via Cisco Webex, the Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources will hold a hybrid legislative hearing and will consider the following legislation:
- H.R. 2073 (Rep. John Yarmuth), To place a moratorium on permitting for mountaintop removal coal mining until health studies are conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services, and for other purposes. Appalachian Communities Health Emergency Act or the ACHE Act.
- H.R. 2505 (Rep. Matt Cartwright), To amend the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 to protect taxpayers from liability associated with the reclamation of surface coal mining operations, and for other purposes. Coal Cleanup Taxpayer Protection Act.
- H.R. 4799 (Rep. Matt Cartwright), To amend the Mineral Leasing Act to make certain improvements in the laws relating to coal royalties, and for other purposes. Coal Royalty Fairness and Communities Investment Act of 2021.
- H.R. 7283 (Rep. Matt Cartwright), To amend the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act to make certain activities eligible for grants from the Abandoned Mine Reclamation Fund, and for other purposes. Safeguarding Treatment for the Restoration of Ecosystems from Abandoned Mines Act or the STREAM Act.
- H.R. 7937 (Rep. Conor Lamb), To direct the Secretary of the Interior, acting through the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, to establish a program to facilitate coal mine reclamation and award grants to certain States and Indian Tribes to carry out coal mine reclamation, and for other purposes. Revitalize, Enhance, and Nurture in Expanded Ways Our Abandoned Mine Lands Act or the RENEW our Abandoned Mine Lands Act.
Representative Matthew Cartwright (H.R. 2505, H.R. 4799, H.R. 7283) (testimony)
Pennsylvania, 8th Congressional District
Representative John Yarmuth (H.R. 2073) (testimony)
Kentucky, 3rd Congressional District
Panel II (All Bills)
John Dawes (testimony)
Foundation for Pennsylvania Watersheds Alexandria, PA
Erin Savage (testimony)
Central Appalachian Senior Program Manager Appalachian Voices
Elaine Tanner (testimony)
Environmental Community Organizer Friends for Environmental Justice Deane, KY
Todd Parfitt (testimony)
Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality Cheyenne, WY