THIS WEEK: Republicans Want to Build an Environmentally Damaging Road through a Wildlife Refuge in Alaska
The controversial King Cove Road Land Exchange Act (H.R. 218), a bill that would greenlight an environmentally damaging road through a wildlife refuge in Alaska, is being brought to the House Floor for a vote on Thursday. Ranking Member Grijalva urges all Members of Congress to vote no on the Republican-backed bill for the following reasons:
- It revives an ill-advised project that has been rejected by numerous federal agencies on numerous occasions over the past 30 years.
- Building a road through the middle of congressionally designated wilderness is without precedent and unwarranted.
- The Alaska delegation insists on dismantling the Izembek National Wildlife Refuge and Izembek Wilderness, despite the well-documented case against building a road through world-class wetlands that support numerous populations of migratory birds and other wildlife.
For more information on why Ranking Member Grijalva opposes this bill, click here.
Tuesday, July 18
- Oversight & Investigations Subcommittee: Oversight hearing titled, "Hearing on Examining Impacts of Federal Natural Resources Laws Gone Astray, Part II" at 10 a.m. in Longworth 1324
- Energy and Mineral Resources Subcommittee: Oversight hearing on onshore oil and gas development in Alaska at 2 p.m. in Longworth 1324
Wednesday, July 19
- Press Conference: Ranking Member Grijalva and conservationist Jeff Corwin, host of ABC’s Ocean Treks with Jeff Corwin, are holding a press conference on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. at the U.S. Capitol House Triangle to speak out against Republican efforts to dismantle one of our most important conservation laws.
- Full Committee: Hearing on five Republican bills that would undermine aspects of the Endangered Species Act at 10 a.m. in Longworth 1324
- Water, Power and Oceans Subcommittee: Oversight hearing titled, "Exploring the Successes and Challenges of the Magnuson-Stevens Act" at 2 p.m. in Longworth 1324
Thursday, July 20
Next Article Previous Article