Chair Grijalva, Leading Democrats, Tribal and Conservation Advocates Holding Wednesday Press Conference on Impending Arctic Drilling Prevention Vote
Washington, D.C. – Chair Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.) and other leading Democrats will speak at a press conference with Alaska Native and conservation advocates at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning outside the U.S. Capitol on the need to pass Rep. Huffman’s Arctic Cultural and Coastal Plain Protection Act, a bill set for a Thursday vote in the House. The bill prohibits the Bureau of Land Management from administering oil and gas leasing in and from the Coastal Plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
Drilling in the Arctic Refuge was prohibited until the passage of the 2017 Republican tax giveaway law, which opened the area to exploration despite oil drilling in Alaska being irrelevant to federal tax policy. Huffman’s bill reverses that language, which was included by Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska).
When: 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 11
Where: House Triangle outside the U.S. Capitol
- Chair Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.)
- Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.), Chair, Subcommittee on Water, Oceans and Wildlife
- Rep. Deb Haaland (D-N.M.), Chair, Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands
- Rep. Alan Lowenthal (D-Calif.), Chair, Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources
- Bernadette Demientieff, Executive Director, Gwich’in Steering Committee
- Hilaree Nelson, Protect Our Winters athlete, The North Face Global Athlete Team Captain
- Garett Reppenhagen, Executive Director, Veterans for Peace
No RSVP is necessary.
(202) 225-6065 or (202) 578-6626 mobile
Next Article Previous Article