LIVESTREAMS NEXT WEEK: Committee Markup of EJ For All Act on Wednesday, BLM Oversight Hearing and Indian Health Service Bill on Thursday
Washington, D.C. – The Natural Resources Committee is holding three livestreamed events next week.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 27
The full Committee, led by Chair Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.), will hold a markup on the following bills:
- H.R. 2021 (Grijalva), To restore, reaffirm, and reconcile environmental justice and civil rights, and for other purposes. Environmental Justice For All Act.
The Environmental Justice For All Act, led by Chair Grijalva and Rep. A. Donald McEachin (D-Va.) is the result of a years-long, community-led process to draft the most comprehensive piece of environmental justice legislation in history. Over the past several months, Chair Grijalva, Rep. McEachin, and other members of the Committee have visited communities all over the country to get a firsthand look at ongoing environmental injustices in these communities, hear about community leaders’ efforts to address those injustices, and obtain feedback on the Environmental Justice For All Act. The communities’ input on the bill has been instrumental in preparing the legislation for Committee markup.
When: 9:30 a.m. Eastern time
Watch Live: https://youtu.be/-0PPYEY33PE
THURSDAY, JULY 28
Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
The Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, led by Chair Katie Porter (D-Calif.), will hold an oversight hearing titled, Preventing Polluters from Getting Government Contracts: Bureau of Land Management’s Corporate Exclusions Lists.
Federal suspension, debarment, and disqualification regulations are designed to protect the public interest by preventing irresponsible parties from doing business with the federal government. By maintaining a government-wide list of businesses and individuals convicted of criminal or civil charges, or other forms of serious corporate misconduct, and requiring federal officials to check this list before doing business with outside entities, the federal government aims to prevent repeat offenses.
These forms of exclusions are critical in the natural resources sphere. Resource extraction activities, like mining and drilling, are inherently risky to the environment and public health. Extractive industries also have a track record of cutting corners on safeguards to maximize profits and exploiting policy loopholes to leave the costs of clean-up to American taxpayers.
A 2022 report from the U.S. Department of the Interior’s (DOI) Office of Inspector General found that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lacked adequate policies to prevent leasing fraud and abuse. Despite a 2015 DOI-wide policy requiring all agencies to review the federal exclusions list before issuing leases, BLM had no policies in place to do so. BLM issued new policies in July 2022, after Chair Porter initiated a congressional inquiry.
- The Honorable Mark Greenblatt, Inspector General, U.S. Department of the Interior
- Mr. Mike Nedd, Deputy Director for Operations, Bureau of Land Management
When: 10:00 a.m. Eastern time
Watch Live: https://youtu.be/FMa9GpQbQAI
Subcommittee for Indigenous Peoples of the United States
The Subcommittee for Indigenous Peoples of the United States, led by Chair Teresa Leger Fernández (D-N.M.), will hold a legislative hearing on the following bill:
- H.R. 5549 (Young), To amend the Indian Health Care Improvement Act to authorize advance appropriations for the Indian Health Service by providing 2-fiscal-year budget authority, and for other purposes. Indian Health Service Advance Appropriations Act.
Panel I: Administration Panel
- To be announced
Panel II: Expert Witness Panel
- Hon. Johnathan Nez, President of Navajo Nation, Navajo Area Representative of National Indian Health Board
- Hon. Fawn Sharp, President, National Congress of American Indians
- Hon. Jarred-Michael Erickson, Chairman, Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation
- Ms. Maureen Rosette, Board Member, National Council of Urban Indian Health
- Ms. Alberta Unok, President and CEO, Alaska Native Health Consortium
- Other witnesses TBA
When: 1:00 p.m. Eastern time
Watch Live: https://youtu.be/DuqphPP_TXo
Media Contact: Lindsay Gressard
202-225-6065 | cell: 202-740-4715