Grijalva Holds Press Conference with Tribal Leaders to Speak Out Against the GOP Bears Ears Bil
Washington, D.C. – Ranking Member Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.) is holding a press conference tomorrow at 9:15 a.m. in Washington, D.C. to give Tribal leaders a platform to voice their concerns about the Republican-backed bill that aims to shrink Bears Ears National Monument by nearly 85 percent. The press conference is being held before a 10 a.m. Committee hearing on the Republican Bears Ears bill – H.R. 4532 – that would drastically reduce the monument and put critical Tribal cultural, historical, and scientific resources at risk.
The Trump administration failed to consult with Tribes about its decision to shrink Bears Ears, and now the Republican bill aims to silence the voices of key Tribal leaders. Republicans only invited one of the five sovereign Native American governments in the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition to testify. Ranking Member Grijalva is holding the press conference to give the Tribal leaders who were shut out of the Committee hearing a platform to share their views on how the reduction of Bears Ears affects their livelihood.
What: Press conference on a Republican bill that aims to shrink Bears Ears National Monument
When: Tuesday, January 9th at 9:15 a.m. ET, followed by a House Natural Resources Committee hearing at 10 a.m.
Where: Cannon House Office Building in room 234 or tune in for the Facebook Live Video
- Congressman Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Ranking Member of the House Natural Resources Committee
- Congressman Alan Lowenthal (D-Calif.), acting Ranking Members of the Federal Lands Subcommittee
- Congressman Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.), sponsor of the Bears Ears National Monument Expansion Act (H.R. 4518)
- President Russel Begaye, Navajo Nation
- Honorable Shaun Chapoose, Ute Tribal Business Committee Member
- Davis Filfred, Navajo Nation Council Delegate with the 23rd Navajo Nation Council
(202) 225-6065 or (202) 226-3522
Next Article Previous Article