Legislative: Remote SCIP Legislative Hearing – October 5, 2021
On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. EDT, the Subcommittee for Indigenous Peoples of the United States (SCIP) will host a virtual, fully remote legislative hearing on the following tribal-related legislation:
- H.J.Res.55 (Rep. Kahele), To consent to the amendments to the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, 1920, made by Act 080 of the Session Laws of Hawaii, 2017. Prince Jonah Khiuo Kalaniana‘ole Protecting Family Legacies Act.
- H.R. 441 (Rep. Don Young), To provide for the conveyance of certain property to the Tanana Tribal Council located in Tanana, Alaska, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2402 (Rep. Fortenberry), To transfer administrative jurisdiction of certain Federal lands from the Army Corps of Engineers to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, to take such lands into trust for the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska, and for other purposes. Winnebago Land Transfer Act of 2021.
- H.R. 4881 (Rep. Raúl Grijalva), To direct the Secretary of the Interior to take into trust for the Pascua Yaqui Tribe of Arizona certain land in Pima County, Arizona, and for other purposes. Old Pascua Community Land Acquisition Act.
- H.R. 5221 (Rep. Raúl Grijalva), To amend the Indian Health Care Improvement Act to establish an urban Indian organization confer policy for the Department of Health and Human Services. Urban Indian Health Confer Act.
Representative Raúl Grijalva
Arizona, 3rd District
Representative Don Young
Representative Kaiali'i Kahele
Hawaii, 2nd District
Representative Jeff Fortenberry
Nebraska, 1st District
Mr. P. Benjamin Smith (H.R.441, H.R.5221) (testimony)
Deputy Director for Intergovernmental Affairs, Indian Health Service
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Mr. Darryl LaCounte (H.J.Res.55, H.R.2402, H.R.4881) (testimony)
Director, Bureau of Indian Affairs
U.S. Department of the Interior
The Honorable Peter Yucupicio (H.R.4881) (testimony)
Pascua Yaqui Tribe Tucson, Arizona
The Honorable William J. Ailã, Jr. (H.J.Res.55) (testimony)
Hawaiian Homes Commission Department of Hawaiian Home Lands Kapolei, HI
The Honorable Julie Roberts-Hyslop (H.R.441) (testimony)
Second Chief Tanana Tribal Council Native Village of Tanana
The Honorable Victoria Kitcheyan (H.R. 2402) (testimony)
Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska
Mr. Walter Murillo (H.R.5221) (testimony)
National Council of Urban Indian Health Washington, DC
This hearing will take place via Cisco WebEx and will be streamed on YouTube. For additional hearing materials and schedules, please visit the U.S. House of Representatives' Committee Repository at http://docs.house.gov/.