Subcommittee Hearing: NPFPL Legislative Hearing – October 14, 2021
On Thursday, October 14, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. EDT, the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands (NPFPL) will hold a virtual, fully remote legislative hearing on the following bills:
- H.R. 149 (Rep. Donald Norcross), To designate the Peter J. McGuire Memorial and Peter J. McGuire Gravesite located in Pennsauken, New Jersey, as a National Historic Landmark, and for other purposes. Peter J. McGuire Labor Day Landmark Act.
- H.R. 250 (Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick), To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to establish the January 8th National Memorial in Tucson, Arizona, as an affiliated area of the National Park System, and for other purposes. January 8th National Memorial Act.
- H.R. 3197 (Rep. Mike Johnson), To direct the Secretary of the Interior to convey to the City of Eunice, Louisiana, certain Federal land in Louisiana, and for other purposes. Save the Liberty Theatre Act of 2021.
- H.R. 3531 (Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton), To authorize the Women Who Worked on the Home Front Foundation to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia and its environs, and for other purposes. Women Who Worked on the Home Front World War II Memorial Act.
- H.R. 4009 (Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton), To authorize the Georgetown African American Historic Landmark Project and Tour to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia and its environs, and for other purposes. Georgetown Waterfront Enslaved Voyages Memorial Act.
- H.R. 4380 (Rep. Veronica Escobar), To designate the El Paso Community Healing Garden National Memorial, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 4454 (Rep. Al Green), To establish a process for the Board on Geographic Names to review and revise offensive names of Federal land units, to create an advisory committee to recommend Federal land unit names to be reviewed by the Board, and for other purposes. Reconciliation in Place Names Act.
- H.R. 4648 (Rep. Mike Johnson), To modify the boundary of the Cane River Creole National Historical Park in the State of Louisiana, and for other purposes. Cane River Creole National Historical Park Boundary Modification Act.
- H.R. 4706 (Rep. Tony Gonzales), To establish the Blackwell School National Historic Site in Marfa, Texas, and for other purposes. Blackwell School National Historic Site Act.
The hearing will take place on the Cisco WebEx platform and will be livestreamed on the Committee’s YouTube page.
For hearing materials and schedules, please visit U.S. House of Representatives, Committee Repository at http://docs.house.gov/.
Rep. Al Green (H.R. 4454)
Texas, 9th District
Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (H.R. 3531 & H.R. 4009)
District of Columbia, At Large
Rep. Tony Gonzalez (H.R. 4706)
Texas, 23rd District
Rep. Mike Johnson (H.R. 3197 & H.R. 4648)
Louisiana, 4th District
Mr. Mike Caldwell (All Bills) (testimony)
Acting Associate Director
Park Planning, Facilities, and Lands National Park Service
Hon. Ron Barber (H.R. 250) (testimony)
President, Board of Directors
Tucson’s January 8th Memorial Foundation
Mr. Albert Hernandez (H.R. 4380) (testimony)
El Paso’s Darkest Day
Hon. Scott A. Fontenot (H.R. 3197) (testimony)
City of Eunice, Louisiana
Ms. Rebecca Blankenbaker (H.R. 4648) (testimony)
Cane River National Heritage Area, Inc.
Ms. Andrena Crockett (H.R. 4009) (testimony)
Founder and Program Manager
Georgetown African American Historic Landmark Project and Tour
Hon. Rodney Ellis (H.R. 4454) (testimony)
Commissioners Court of Harris County, Texas
Mr. William Shafroth (H.R. 4706) (testimony)
President & CEO
National Park Foundation