The Subcommittee on Indian and Alaska Native Affairs oversees all matters regarding Native Americans, including the 566 federally recognized tribes and Alaska Native Corporations, and nearly 1.9 million American Indians. Republicans on the Natural Resources Committee are working to ensure freedom and economic development opportunity for Indian tribes across the country.
Did You Know?
- The Department of Interior holds 56 million acres of land in trust for the benefit of Indian tribes and individual Indians.
- Some experts estimate that up to 10 percent of the nation’s untapped energy resources (including oil, gas, coal, wind, and solar) lie under or on tribal lands.
- According to the Department of the Interior, the production of energy and mineral resources in 2007 generated $524 million in royalty revenue paid to Indian individuals and Tribes. These resources are critical not only for national energy security, but for the generation of jobs, royalties, and other benefits for members of the tribes that own the energy.
- All 10.4 billion barrels of recoverable oil in the 1002 area of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge can be produced utilizing just 2,000 acres of surface land throughout the whole 1.5 million-acre area.
The Subcommittee on Indian and Alaska Native Affairs consists of 12 Members, 7 Republicans and 5 Democrats.
Jurisdiction of the Subcommittee:
- Measures relating to the welfare of Native Americans, including management of Indian lands in general and special measures relating to claims which are paid out of Indian funds.
- All matters regarding the relations of the United States with Native Americans and Native American tribes, including special oversight functions under House Rule X.
- All matters regarding Native Alaskans.
- All matters related to the Federal trust responsibility to Native Americans and the sovereignty of Native Americans.
Subcommittee on Indian and Alaska Native Affairs Legislative Hearing on H.R. 623, H.R. 740, H.R. 841, H.R. 931, H.R. 1306, and H.R. 1410
May 16, 2013 |
Committee Report on H.R. 356, the "Hill Creek Cultural Preservation and Energy Development Act"
May 14, 2013 |
Subcommittee on Indian and Alaska Native Affairs Legislative Hearing on H.R. 1548
Apr 26, 2013 |
Committee Report on H.R. 507, the "Pascua Yaqui Tribe Trust Land Act"
Apr 9, 2013 |
Subcommittee on Indian and Alaska Native Affairs Oversight Hearing on "Authorization, standards, and procedures for whether, how, and when Indian tribes should be newly recognized by the federal government: Perspective of the Department of the Interior"
Mar 19, 2013 |
Chairman Hastings Statement on the Violence Against Women Act
Feb 28, 2013 |
Committee Report for H.R. 4194, To amend the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act to provide that Alexander Creek, Alaska, is and shall be recognized as an eligible Native village under that Act, and for other purposes
Dec 31, 2012 |
Committee Report for S. 3193, the "Barona Band of Mission Indians Land Transfer Clarification Act of 2012"
Dec 17, 2012 |
UPDATED: Chairman Hastings Announces Republican Members of the House Natural Resources Committee
Dec 14, 2012 |
Full Committee Markup on H.R. 6364, H.R. 752 and S. 3193
Dec 5, 2012 |
112th Congress Markup Archives