Last year, an internal document
from the Department of Interior (DOI) revealed the Obama Administration’s plans to potentially designate new national monuments under the Antiquities Act. The proposed designations would lock-up millions of acres of public lands in the West, without Congressional approval or public input, and restrict access for energy production, recreation, and other job-creating economic activities. The Committee continues to seek increased transparency on the Administration’s actions and will oppose efforts to unilaterally lock-up more public land.
Get the Facts:
- The proposed designations and acquisitions would lock-up at least 13 million acres of land in 11 Western states, cost hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars and be done without Congressional approval.
- It would also have huge ramifications on our nation’s energy, restricting access to immense oil, gas, and mineral deposits, as well as blocking pipelines and transmission corridors.
- Natural Resources Committee Republicans have repeatedly asked the Department of Interior to turn over information related to this draft document. Secretary Salazar has publicly said that there is “no secret agenda” and wants to have a “public dialogue.” Therefore, the Department should be willing to answer questions regarding the exact undertakings and status of the potential Monument designations, as well as what outside groups and individuals have been involved in the secret planning.
- After Republicans introduced legislation (H. Res. 1406) directing the Secretary of the Interior to transmit to the House of Representatives certain information relating to the Secretary’s Treasured Landscape Initiative, potential designation of National Monuments, and High Priority Land-Rationalization Efforts, the Interior Department released all 25 pages of the draft memo. However, they continue to purposely withhold 2,016 pages of related documents.
- DOI internal document on potential National Monument designations
- Hastings, Bishop letter to President over potential plans to lock-up millions of acres of western land (February 18, 2010)
- GOP letter requesting Secretary Salazar to turn over missing pages on the Administration’s targeting of New Monument Designations (February 26, 2010)
- Text of H. Res. 1254 (Resolution of Inquiry, April 13, 2010)
- Text of H. Res. 1406 (Second Resolution of Inquiry, May 27, 2010)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce letter of support for H. Res. 1254 (May 3, 2010)
- American Motorcyclist Association letter of support for H. Res. 1254 (May 3, 2010)
- Public Lands Council and the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association letter of support for H. Res. 1254 (May 5, 2010)
- Letter from Professionals for Managed Recreation urging Sec. Salazar to turn over missing docs related to national monument designations (July 1, 2010)
FOX News: Signs Point to Administration Plan to Lock Up 13M Acres of Federal Land, FOX News (May 27, 2010)
Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation Legislative Hearing on H.R. 3286, H.R. 3294, H.R. 3311, and H.R. 915
Nov 21, 2013 |
Full Committee Markup on H.R.298, H.R. 585, H.R. 1308, H.R. 1846, H.R. 2798, H.R. 2799, and H.R. 2954
Oct 30, 2013 |
Committee on Natural Resources and the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Oversight Hearing on "As Difficult As Possible: The National Park Service’s Implementation of the Government Shutdown"
Oct 16, 2013 |
UPDATED: House Committees to Hold Joint Hearing on the Obama Administration’s Unnecessary National Park & Monument Closures
Oct 9, 2013 |
ICYMI: Chairman Hastings Discusses Obama Administration’s “Painful as Possible” Park Closures and the Need to Negotiate
Oct 4, 2013 |
In Case You Missed It
BAD LANDLORD: National Park Service Forcing Privately Operated Sites to Close
Oct 4, 2013 |
FLASHBACK: DC Memorials Open During Last Shutdown under Clinton
Oct 4, 2013 |
Hastings on Helium Hypocrisy: Senate Should Act Today to Open our National Parks
Oct 3, 2013 |
Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation Legislative Hearing on H.R. ____, H.R.298, H.R.712, H.R.1167, H.R.1259, H.R.1633, H.R.1846, H.R.2015, H.R.2259, H.R.2657, and H.R.2954
Oct 3, 2013 |
Obama Administration Closed Parks to WWII Veterans, but kept Open for Illegal Occupy Movement Camp
Oct 2, 2013 |
Hot Air Alert