Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands Legislative Hearing on H.R. 3114, H.R. 4162, H.R. 6156, H.R. 6233, H.R. 6290, H.R. 6291, H.R. 6470, H.R. 6553, and H.R. 6628
Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:00 AM
SUBCOMMITTEE ON NATIONAL PARKS, FORESTS AND PUBLIC LANDS
1334 Longworth House Office Building
Thursday, September 11, 2008
LEGISLATIVE HEARING ON:
- H.R. 3114 (Slaughter), To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to establish a commemorative trail in connection with the Women’s Rights National Historical Park to link properties that are historically and thematically associated with the struggle for women’s suffrage, and for other purposes. "National Women’s Rights History Project Act"
- H.R. 4162 (Lewis), To provide for an exchange of lands with San Bernardino County, California, to enhance management of lands within San Bernardino National Forest, and for other purposes. "San Bernardino Biomass Use Facilitation Act"
- H.R. 6156 (McKeon), To designate certain lands as wilderness in the state of California, and for other purposes. "Eastern Sierra and Northern San Gabriel Wild Heritage Act"
- H.R. 6233 (Walter Jones), To reinstate the Interim Management Strategy governing off-road vehicle use in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, North Carolina, pending the issuance of a final rule for off-road vehicle use by the National Park Service.
- H.R. 6290 (Blumenauer), To designate certain land in the State of Oregon as wilderness, and for other purposes. "Lewis and Clark Mount Hood Wilderness Act of 2008"
- H.R. 6291 (DeFazio), To adjust the boundary of Oregon Caves National Monument, to amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to designate certain river segments in Oregon as wild or scenic rivers, and for other purposes. "Oregon Treasures Act of 2008"
- H.R. 6470 (Dingell), To provide for the designation of certain sites in Monroe County and Wayne County, Michigan, relating to the Battles of the River Raisin during the War of 1812 as a unit of the National Park System. "River Raisin National Battlefield Act"
- H.R. 6553 (Udall), To clarify the authority of the Secretary of Agriculture regarding additional recreational uses of National Forest System lands subject to ski area permits.
- H.R. 6628 (Young), To provide for the application of the Recreation and Public Purposes Act to the ConnellLake area, so the Ketchikan Gateway Borough in Alaska may obtain that land under the Act’s basic terms and conditions. "Connell Lake Watershed Protection and Recreation Act"
WITNESSES AND TESTIMONY:
Representative John D. Dingell (MI-15)
Representative Jerry Lewis (CA-41)
Representative Louise McIntosh Slaughter (NY-28)
Representative Howard P. “Buck” McKeon (CA-25)
Representative Earl Blumenauer (OR-03)
Representative Walter B. Jones (NC-03)
Daniel N. Wenk
National Park Service
Department of the Interior
National Forest System
The Honorable Mark G. Worrell
The Honorable John Harrington
Ketchikan Gateway Borough
The Honorable Warren Judge
Dare County Board of Commissioners
Derb S. Carter, Jr.
Director, Carolinas Office
Southern Environmental Law Center
Kitty Hawk, NC
The Outdoor Industry Conservation Alliance
National Ski Areas Association
Hood River Valley Residents Community