Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands Legislative Hearing on H.R. 160, H.R. 1847, H.R. 2933, H.R. 3299, H.R. 3336, H.R. 3849, H.R. 5263, H.R. 5751, and H.R. 6177
Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:00 AM
SUBCOMMITTEE ON NATIONAL PARKS, FORESTS AND PUBLIC LANDS
1324 Longworth House Office Building
Thursday, July 10, 2008
LEGISLATIVE HEARING ON:
- H.R. 160 (Holt), To amend the American Battlefield Protection Act of 1996 to establish a battlefield acquisition grant program for the acquisition and protection of nationally significant battlefields and associated sites of the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, and for other purposes. "Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Protection Act"
- H.R. 1847 (Mark Udall), To amend the National Trials System Act to clarify Federal authority relating to land acquisition from willing sellers for the majority of the trails in the System, and for other purposes. "National Trails System Willing Seller Act"
- H.R. 2933 (Gary Miller), To amend the American Battlefield Protection Act of 1996 to extend the authorization for that Act, and for other purposes. "Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act of 2007"
- H.R. 3299 (Musgrave), To provide for a boundary adjustment and land conveyance involving Roosevelt National Forest, Colorado, to correct the effects of an erroneous land survey that resulted in approximately 7 acres of the Crystal Lakes Subdivision, Ninth Filing, encroaching on National Forest System land.
- H.R. 3336 (Lamborn), To direct the Secretary of the Interior to carry out a study to determine the suitability and feasibility of establishing a historic district to the Camp Hale on parcels of land in the state of Colorado. "Camp Hale Historic District Study Act"
- H.R. 3849 (Bishop), To provide for the conveyance of parcels of land to Mantua, Box Elder County, Utah.
"Box Elder Utah Land Conveyance Act"
- H.R. 5263 (Grijalva), To encourage the collaborative, science-based ecosystem restoration of priority forest landscapes on Federal lands under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management and the Forest Service through a joint Collaborative Forest Landscape Restoration Program, and for other purposes. "Forest Landscape Restoration Act"
- H.R. 5751 (Pastor), To direct the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture to jointly conduct a study of certain land adjacent to the Walnut Canyon National Monument in the State of Arizona, and for other purposes. "Walnut Canyon Study Act of 2008"
- H.R. 6177 (Rodriguez), To amend the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act to modify the boundary of the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River. "Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River Extension Act of 2008"
WITNESSES AND TESTIMONY
Representative Ed Pastor (AZ-04)
Representative Ciro D. Rodriguez (TX-23)
Representative Gary G. Miller (CA-42)
Representative Marilyn N. Musgrave (CO-04)
Former Representative J. Alex McMillan, III (NC-9)
Stephen E. Whitesell
Park Planning, Facilities, and Lands
National Park Service
Supervisor Deb Hill
Coconino County, AZ District 4
Forest Energy Corporation
Tom L. Thompson
Society of American Foresters
O. James Lighthizer
Civil War Preservation Trust
Leo M. Schwartz
The Virginia Land Rights Coalition
David Hackett Fischer
Dwight “D.R.” Palmer
Kathleen Karen Nelson
Tyrus G. Fain
The Rio Grande Institute