Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands Legislative Hearing on H.R. 4529, H.R. 5195, H.R. 5466, H.R. 5665, and H.R. 5817
Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:00 AM
SUBCOMMITTEE ON NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS AND PUBLIC LANDS
1324 Longworth House Office Building
Thursday, September 28, 2006
LEGISLATIVE HEARING ON:
- H.R. 4529 (Case), To provide for the establishment of a memorial within Kalaupapa National Historical Park located on the island of Molokai, in the State of Hawaii, to honor and perpetuate the memory of those individuals who were forcibly relocated to the Kalaupapa Peninsula from 1866 to 1969, and for other purposes. "Kalaupapa Memorial Act of 2005"
- H.R. 5195 (Wolf), To establish the Journey Through Hallowed Ground National Heritage Area, and for other purposes. "Journey Through Hallowed Ground National Heritage Area Act of 2006"
- H.R. 5466 (Davis), To amend the National Trails System Act to designate the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail. "Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail Designation Act"
- H.R. 5665 (Simpson), To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain land and improvements of the Gooding Division of the Minidoka Project, Idaho. "American Falls Reservoir District Number 2 Conveyance Act"
- H.R. 5817 (Inslee), To adjust the boundary of the Minidoka Internment National Monument to include the Nidoto Nai Yoni Memorial in Bainbridge Island, Washington, and for other purposes. "Bainbridge Island Japanese American Monument Act of 2006"
WITNESSES & TESTIMONY:
The Honorable Ed Case, (HI-2)
The Honorable Frank Wolf, (VA-10)
The Honorable Roscoe Bartlett, (MD-6)
The Honorable Jo Ann Davis, (VA-1)
The Honorable Michael Simpson, (ID-2)
Mr. Dan Wenk (H.R. 4529, H.R. 5195, H.R. 5466, H.R. 5665, H.R. 5817)
Acting Associate Director
Park Planning, Facilities, and Lands
National Park Service
Ms. Piolani Motta
Co-Chair of the Monument Committee
Ka Ohana O Kalaupapa
Ms. Cate Magennis Wyatt
The Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership
Mr. Peyton Knight
The National Center for Public Policy Research
Mr. Pat Noonan
The Conservation Fund
Mrs. Fumiko Hayashida